Pearson VUE (www.pearsonvue.com) is the global leader in computer-based testing for information technology, academic, government and professional testing programs around the world. Pearson VUE provides a full suite of services from test development to data management, and delivers exams through the world’s most comprehensive and secure network of test centers in more than 180 countries, where we validate the skills and knowledge of millions of individuals every year.
Pearson VUE is a business of Pearson, the world's leading learning company with global-reach and market-leading businesses. Pearson is listed on both the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO).
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Come join Acclaim, the industry-leading Open Badge solution for high-stakes credentialing and certification bodies. Acclaim provides comprehensive Open Badge program design, issue and management services to leading global brands that share Acclaim’s commitment to high standards for certifying learning outcomes and job-ready skills. Acclaim operates at the forefront of the Open Badge industry with innovation and execution led by team members who are creative, driven and inventive.
As a Badges focused Software Engineer you will be responsible for design and implementation of features for a new professional services platform for an internal start-up.
The ideal candidate is willing to work across the full stack of technology, committed to learning new technology and techniques, and comfortable in an Agile software development / lean product development environment.
The Software Developer Will:
The Software Engineer will implement solutions for a brand-new software development project that is creating a new application and API layer
- Contribute to the evolutionary architecture of a brand-new product platform. Implement features and necessary infrastructure.
- Leverage best practices in agile construction, including unit testing, test automation, automated deployment, etc.
- Learn and support best practices in REST web service development.
- Identify technical trade-offs associated with product/feature choices.
- Develop web application(s) as part of platform development.
- Support efforts to on board new third-parties to use the platform.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline and/ or equivalent related development experience in lieu of degree
- 1-2+ years Web application Development experience (Web App Framework w/ experience in any of the following related tools: Rails, Grails, Django, Backbone)
- Experience with or a predisposition to Agile software development methodologies
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Rails and/or other rapid application development platforms such as Grails or Django
- Responsive Design practices
- RESTful Architecture and REST best practices
- DevOps experience including hands-on experience with any of the following:
- Functional Test Automation, Deployment Automation, Performance Monitoring, Chef/Puppet/Vagrant
- Experience with cloud hosting providers such as Amazon, Heroku, EngineYard, etc. a plus
- Experience with open source projects
- Experience with NoSQL databases a plus but not required
- Continuous expansion of knowledge in many development languages, applications, and tools
- Creative problem-solving skills
How to Apply