If you want to live and work wherever you'd like, read on...
- No politics
- No bureaucracy
- Flexible schedule
- No B.S.: we’ll even encourage you to use your own toolchain as much as we can possibly can.
You’ve probably never worked with anyone like us before. We’re looking for a developer (and “product person”).
If you like to:
- implement quickly
- iterate rapidly and work on projects where metrics (instead of politics) determine whose ideas win
…then you’ve found your home. We work hard, play hard, and have only exceptionally stellar people on our team. We’re looking for a multi-talented, take-charge person who loves to deliver outcomes.
You’ll need a unique combination of skills, talents and mindset, including being highly skilled in:
- UI/UX experience
- Forum administration
- Creating dynamic websites
- Working with membership sites
In addition, you'll also have no problems:
- Getting your code and markup working in the full range of browsers from Chrome through Firefox to IE and on variety of mobile devices from iPad to Android
- Keeping up with forward-focused technology (CSS3, HTML5, latest CMS versions, APIs, OpenID, semantics, microformats)
- Possessing at least intermediate-level skills with XHTML, Photoshop, and Illustrator that are rooted in best practices, validation, testing, compatibility, and performance
- Maintaining and enhancing dozens of WordPress sites
Here's who you are:
- You consider yourself a product person and you possess an innovative mindset.
- You can discern specific consumer needs and you’re able to recognize and predict trends.
- You’re able to take what you’ve discovered and use it as a basis for developing brilliant solutions for our market.
- You want to be the CEO of the product.
Working closely with our team, you’ll ultimately be responsible for how the product “feels” and functions. You understand that there are resource and time constraints and the product evolution has to include those restraints in the decisions made.
You love technology, but you also have a knack for making connections with people and watching (and predicting) industry trends, which facilitates the creation of new product ideas.
You thrive on testing everything, not only to create the best possible product but also to obtain the highest conversion rates possible in marketing. You understand we live and die by metrics and you test accordingly whenever possible.
Your work with us will have a direct impact on our success. If that excites you, read on.
Here are a few other things we're looking for:
- You’re excited by startups and you’ve mastered at least one technology stack (3+ years experience).
- Ability to do at least 7 backflips in a row (just seeing if you’re paying attention!).
- In all the work you do, we want you to have an emphasis on quality over quantity. You need to be sure your work is looking great and functioning perfectly before letting us know something is “done.”
- You must have a strong drive and be able to work without supervision. We’ll be throwing a lot of broad ideas to you and you’ll be the one who makes it all happen. We’ll tell you about an outcome we want, and you’ll come up with the vision to get us there.
- You’re not afraid to tell us that something won’t work or isn’t a good idea—and you can explain to us why. We value pushback.
- You have a good sense of layout and graphic design. You don’t need to design the graphics if that’s not your skill set, but you do need to have a good eye for what works–and what doesn’t.
- You must be consistent, meticulous in all you do, and love getting stuff done–without needing anyone to keep you on task.
We would also like you to have a few of these:
- Substantial Python or Ruby on Rails experience
- Knowledge of automated testing
- A love of interface design
- A preference for test-driven development
- Contributions to open-source libraries
- An entrepreneurial nature
This is big:
Our company is virtual so you’ve got to be totally self-motivated and not require hand-holding. Major bonus points if you live in or around Minneapolis, but it’s not a requirement.
Minneapolis / remote
How to apply
If this sounds like a great match, send an email to Tracy: Tracy @ Ave81.com. In the subject line please put this: Developer (and “Product Person”)
Your email should include:
- a link to something resume-like (e.g., LinkedIn)
- any other links you’d like us to see (e.g., your blog, jaw-dropping samples of your work)
- tell us the last good book you read on programming, software development or design
- what’s your favorite language to code in, and what are three things you’d change about it
- Mac or PC…and why!
- let us know where you heard about this open position
- include anything else you want us to know about you. Tell us why you’re the perfect fit for what we need