The Minnesota Department of Human Services has an opening for an IT project manager. The purpose of this position is to provide project management services for services for large, complex information technology projects and help other project managers to mature their use of project and program management standards and methodologies. The incumbent will work with Information Technology staff to manage project decisions relating to the design and development of new applications as well as enhancements and modifications to existing applications in order to meet the needs of MN.IT Services.
In addition to new technology, challenging work, and the chance to serve Minnesota with a team of professional colleagues, the Department of Human Services offers a comprehensive benefit package and a modern, flexible, and culturally diverse work environment. We are nationally recognized for our progressive leadership in human services. Our mission, working with many others, is to help people meet their basic needs, live in dignity, and achieve their highest potential. We dedicate our talents to serving diverse communities through health care and human services programs. Make DHS the next step in your career!
This position is located in the Agency Project Management area of DHS. You will provide project management on multiple complex enterprise and division level information technology projects and/or solutions that intermingle with and affect enterprise level projects and applications. You will ensure quality and consistency across multiple projects within the distributed enterprise in the use of project planning, scheduling, scope and risk management, status reporting, change control, issues resolution and other project management controls and practices.
This position requires close working relationships with MN.IT managers and systems staff as well DHS health care policy and program managers and staff, staff at the counties and tribal agencies, federal officials, contractors and attorneys. It will lead cross-functional teams representing a range of systems and program disciplines and classifications.
- Providing project management on multiple, large and complex enterprise and division level information technology projects and solutions that will affect enterprise level projects and applications. May provide project management or development leadership on enterprise level information technology projects.
- Detailed project planning and execution including staffing management, communication, status reporting, vendor and contract management, risk management and mitigation.
- Assisting with determining the feasibility for new service concepts or systems including leading the development of a business case including situation analysis, definition, service and system description, analysis of alternatives, and identification of internal and external variables.
- Leading the integration of new services and systems, and lead pilot or beta testing with early adopter stakeholders.
- Ensuring use of SDLC (System Development Life Cycle), information management best practices, standards, guidelines, and processes.
- Five years of experience managing projects which must include experience specifically with information technology projects,
- Advanced knowledge of the theory, principles, and practices of PMBoK project management knowledge areas;
- Experience reporting on project activities during all phases of the project life-cycle, including project costs and resource allocation using project and project portfolio management tools;
- Broad knowledge of IT products and services sufficient to lead large and complex IT projects including application development and application integration methodologies;
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Effective presentation skills;
- Experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders (e.g. management, team leads, and other project managers);
- Ability to facilitate discussions and lead decision-making with cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in business, computer science, information systems or discipline related industry;
- Advanced study in project management;
- Experience coaching or mentoring less-seasoned project management staff;
- Experience developing/improving project management tools or framework;
- ITIL certification;
- Experience managing software development project using a formal life cycle methodology; i.e. waterfall, agile, and prototyping. Iterative development methodology certification (e.g. RUP, Scrum, PMI-ACP).
In addition to a competitive salary, the State of Minnesota offers excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
- Earn up to 29 paid vacation days per year
- Earn up to 13 sick days per year
- 11 paid holidays
- Pension and retirement savings plan
- Life insurance (family coverage available)
- Long-term care insurance available for self, spouse, and parents
- Disability insurance
- Pre-tax benefits
- Health care savings plan
- Ongoing educational opportunities
- Credit union membership available
St. Paul, MN
How to apply
Contact us! The Recruitment Office is glad to answer any questions you may have about this or other career opportunities. Contact us for more information or submit your resume by email (please reference the “IT Project Manager” position in the subject line): Phone/Job Hotline: 651-431-3674 or 800-657-3643 Email: email@example.com DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR RESUME IS 12 NOON on FRIDAY, AUGUST 17th, 2012. The Recruitment Office will contact you within 2 business days regarding your inquiry. An Equal Opportunity and Veteran Friendly Employer