Business Data Analyst
Position Description As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose--serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
The mission of the Business Development group of the Department of Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED) is to help businesses start, stay, and grow in the city, particularly for businesses owned by people of color. This position will perform economic research, data analysis, data visualization, and business systems improvements to support that mission and the broader Department.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect, clarify, and translate business intelligence requirements into designs and solutions.
- Provide strategic, analytical, and technical support for business intelligence and analytic activities.
- Perform economic and market research and identify trends.
- Act as an intermediary between CPED Business Development and other stewards of data in the City enterprise.
- Collaborate with the City's IT Data Services team to develop sound, City enterprise aware, analytic solutions.
- Work with the City's IT Data Services team as a subject matter expert in the addition of data to the City's data warehouse.
- Investigate and provide answers to complex data questions.
- Empower Departmental staff to become more data driven.
- Work with Departmental staff to improve data quality.
- Act as a data steward of departmental data elements.
- Satisfy ad-hoc research, reporting, mapping, and data visualization requests.
- Serve as an administrator of a customer relationship management system.
- Identify patterns and help the department react to changing business conditions.
- Contribute to broader policy initiatives and systems improvement efforts within the department and the City enterprise.
- Present results verbally and in writing to department and City leadership.
Working Conditions: Standard office setting.
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business Analytics, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, a related field, or equivalent.
Required Experience: Four years of experience performing related duties, that include business data discovery, analysis, query design, reporting, GIS, and statistical analysis.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Desirable Qualifications -- Cultural competency: Ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with applications like Tableau, Salesforce, GIS, Cognos or other ad-hoc query tools, and/or SharePoint.
- Strong knowledge of, and ability to work with economic data, relational databases, GIS, data visualization, and/or statistical analysis in a professional, applied setting.
- Considerable knowledge of economic development and/or market research sources, methods, and technical tools to source and organize data.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with peers, other City colleagues, other governmental partners, business clients, community groups, and people from diverse economic, cultural, and racial backgrounds to achieve outcomes is critical.
- Strong listening, verbal explanation, business writing, and professional presentation skills.
- Ability to formulate reports, memos, presentations, visualizations, and recommendations based on business data analytics.
- High curiosity and strong critical thinking skills regarding economic and business data and systems improvements.
- Ability to use data analysis and business intelligence skills to interpret trends to support departmental activity.
- Master's Degree is desirable.
To change or remove this job posting please contact [email protected].