FastBridge Learning is a rapidly growing K-12 formative assessment company. We help teachers foster greater learning outcomes via the effective use of evidence-based classroom assessments in math, reading, and behavior, which provide teachers the best data and real-time feedback to inform intervention and instruction. We are driven by our mission to transform the way teachers assess the learning needs of their students. We serve schools in 40 states, including a statewide implementation in Iowa, and will administer nearly 15 million assessments this school year, and we have no plans of slowing down any time soon.
FastBridge Learning is seeking an experienced Database Developer with strong database development and troubleshooting skills to join us in our downtown Minneapolis office.
We work with a pragmatically agile process; closely aligned with product management, operations, and customer support; as well as affiliated research staff. This is an opportunity to join a small team that is passionate about improving the lives of teachers and students. You are an enthusiastic developer who’s ready to hit the ground running. You’re able to take initiative, organized, and excellent with time management. You relish finding elegant solutions to complex problems. You’re capable of spotting production issues early and acting before things catch fire. You are self-driven, team-oriented, have strong troubleshooting skills, and flourish in a fast paced and collaborative environment where honesty and trust are valued. Most importantly, you must be passionate about creating an exceptional, high-quality application that supports and serves educators and students.
FastBridge’s server platform is currently based on Java, Spring, Hibernate, and SQL Server 2014, hosted in AWS. That’s today. As a key member of the development team, you’ll have a hand in shaping what it looks like tomorrow. If you don't have all the preferred qualifications but they represent areas of interest or things you'd like to learn, please talk to us anyway.
As a Database Developer at FastBridge Learning, you will be doing development for our flagship web application – Formative Assessment System for Teachers (FAST™). You’ll be part of the Product Development and Technology team and report to the Director of Engineering. You will use SQL technologies to build new product features which can include writing optimized queries for assessments and reports, developing and maintaining ETL pipelines for data integrity and management, performing database optimizations using indexes and other functionalities for optimal database function in a highly-concurrent operational environment.
As a small company, everyone in engineering is also involved in production support when required. Software development projects will include product development and enhancements, designing and implementing customizations for our technology partners, generating data reports for research and working on maintenance releases and bug fixes.
- Act as a key member of the product launch team and work closely with DevOps to resolve operational issues
- Tune SQL queries and database performance in collaboration with other developers
- Monitor SQL Server performance during times of peak activity
- Ensure database availability and recovery
- Ensure accuracy and integrity of the data and applications through analysis, coding, writing clear documentation and problem resolution
- Create, optimize and maintain complex yet elegant T-SQL stored procedures, views, functions, triggers and queries
- Work with the application team to create and maintain effective database-coupled application logic
- Document database maintenance procedures
- Assist the Operations team in identifying and developing production monitoring tools for production databases to ensure we maintain our desired uptime levels
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- 4+ years of working experience with SQL Server 2008+
- Strong knowledge of T-SQL Scripting and SSIS
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field; or equivalent experience
- Proven experience in troubleshooting and resolving issues involving database integrity, performance, blocking and deadlocking, connectivity, security
- Strong experience in optimizing database workload to support application performance at scale
- Demonstrated ability to successfully complete multiple complex technical tasks
- Proven history of delivering high-quality work both individually and within a team
- Experience working in a fast-paced Agile environment
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Familiar with DevOps principles as they apply to database work
- Familiar with other database systems, especially MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Familiar with Redgate Utilities, SSIS
- Experience with Amazon RDS and EC2
- Working knowledge of ORM systems such as Hibernate, NHibernate, Entity Framework
- Able to read Java or C# code
- Prior experience in the education or education technology space
520 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55402
520 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN