Marketing Communications Specialist
Imagine yourself here. Be a part of something great at Science Museum of Minnesota.
The Science Museum of Minnesota knows that the diversity in our communities generates better ideas, inspires creativity and is essential to building a positive workplace. As an employer of choice, we hire and retain the best employees by valuing differences, creating a collaborative work environment, and providing promotional and career development opportunities. Read our Statement on Equity and Inclusion.
Join our Marketing team as a Communications Specialist and work to provide communication expertise, participate in the Marketing Communications editorial planning process, and focus on creating advertising, email, website and social media content under tight deadlines to engage and nurture prospects and audiences. This position is key to providing written communications in alignment with the museum strategic goals and priorities and will proactively partner with cross-functional teams (brand, creative, membership, sponsorship, museum experience, science, education, equity & access, and 3rd party partners) to plan and create audience facing contents at vertical and campaign levels from traditional to digital deliverables.
The Marketing Communications Specialist will work closely with the Marketing and Public Relations Specialist and report to the Manager of Growth Marketing and Analytics to set campaign goals and deliver effective communication materials and copy for various marketing channels and execute the agreed-upon marketing communication plan / editorial plan.
Work Environment: Fast-paced, collaborative office setting.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the Manager of Growth Marketing and Analytics to evaluate and report the effectiveness of campaigns on the necessary cadence to track program success in terms of audience building and nurturing.
- Proactively build and foster collaborative relationships with internal partners and subject matter experts to create on-brand communication opportunities about the museum’s initiatives, mission impact, and experiences.
- Collaborate with marketing team members to nurture leads and ensure holistic, integrated execution of campaign launches and promotions through personalization strategy optimized for audience segments.
- Ensure that content is reviewed and taken through proper approvals.
- Ensure the Science Museum of Minnesota’s branding standards are upheld in all communications materials and formats.
- Manage communication with third-party partners as needed.
- Use a camera, or a recording device to support programs, media communications for museum audiences
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Receive and execute Marketing & Communications plans with a primary focus on audience engagement via various marketing channels including, but not limited to, brochures, flyers, catalogs, advertising, in-venue signage, email, website, and social media.
- Day-to-day management of the museum's social media profiles, and serve as the voice of a brand on social media channels through ongoing publishing and moderation activities.
- Ensure social media content aligns with channel objectives and strategies, brand voice and tone, and social media best practices.
- Engage online community and proactively respond to brand-related conversations on social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest), and other online platforms (Bing, TripAdvisor, Google Business Listings).
- Maximize site traffic, brand visibility, and engage constituents by promoting the museum brand using keywords (SEO), developing social media posts.
- Optimize current copy on smm.org and social media profiles with a focus on customer experience and search (SEO).
- Write and edit content for museum emails and work with museum partners to uncover stories and generate content.
25% of overall work will perform media and public relations related duties.
- Support the Marketing & Public Relations Specialist on media requests and interviews. Assist in proofreading copy, and provide input on marketing collateral or other forms of marketing communications.
- Able to perform as a spokesperson for the Science Museum of Minnesota on occasions where primary spokespeople are not available.
- Develop content, including talking points, Q&A documents, presentation scripts, and flow for brand or campaign guidance.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, public relations, or marketing or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience writing in a marketing, public relations or advertising environment.
- Ability to write concisely, clearly and creatively in a fast-paced environment with aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to switch gears quickly and pivot to different writing projects, styles and voices daily.
- Proficiency with Google apps (experience with web-based proofing tools a plus).
- Strong interpersonal communication skills – including strong presentation skills.
- Self-starter who is able and willing to accept responsibility and perform with minimal supervision.
- Positivity toward change and inevitable mid-project course corrections and the ability to multitask effectively.
- Familiarity in (AP) Associated Press style.
- Cultural competency and experience working with diverse communities.
- Willingness to be open and respectful of all backgrounds.
- Fluency in language(s) other than English valued (Hmong, Somali, Spanish).
Hiring Pay Range: $55,000 – 60,000+ annually / Depending on Qualifications.
The job duties describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position and is not an exhaustive list. For some positions, detailed procedures may be outlined in supplemental documents.
We exist to turn on the science and inspire learning, inform policy and improve lives. We envision a world in which all people have the power to use science to make lives better. We value science as an essential literacy and strive for inclusion inside and out so that our museum and our people reflect and respond to the diverse needs and cultures of our community. It is the museum’s policy and practice to hire and promote qualified job seekers from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. We offer benefit packages for full-time and part-time employees.
To change or remove this job posting please contact [email protected].