Senior Electrical Product Engineer
At Ingersoll Rand we are passionate about inspiring progress around the world. We advance the quality of life by creating comfortable, sustainable and efficient environments.
Our people and our family of brands—including Club Car®, Ingersoll Rand®, Thermo King®, Trane®, American Standard® Heating & Air Conditioning and ARO® - work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes and buildings; transport and protect food and perishables; and increase industrial productivity and efficiency. We are a global business committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results.
Ingersoll Rand is a diverse and inclusive environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to hiring a diverse workforce; including individuals with disabilities and United States qualified protected veterans.
This Senior Product Engineer will provide both electrical and systems engineering support for Thermo King’s APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) product line. The position requires applying engineering principles and technical rigor to develop solutions that satisfy product requirements, quality, cost and schedule.
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Working knowledge and/or experience in electro-mechanical systems, refrigeration/HVAC systems, diesel engines, compressors, engine starter motors, alternators, generators, microprocessor controllers, contactors, relays, wiring and wire harnesses.
- Work with Product Management, Commercial and Field teams to develop proposals based on unit specifications and market requirements
- Resolve product reliability issues:
- Participate in, and lead, teams to resolve electrical and electromechanical product reliability issues.
- Apply systematic problem solving skills to define issues, identify root causes, develop, qualify, and implement corrective actions in a timely manner.
- Develop new product solutions:
- Work with internal and external resources to build strong understanding of trucking industry broadly, and specifically class 8 sleeper cab truck applications.
- Leverage engineering principles and application knowledge to develop new and innovative design ideas. These design ideas must meet changing customer and market demands, bringing enhanced value to Thermo King, our dealers and customers.
- Manage test series:
- Develop test plans (for components, sub-systems, and systems) for reliability, durability, performance, and safety.
- Design, plan, and execute investigative and verification tests.
- Analyze, condense, and present test data/results.
- Implement design changes:
- Conduct technical designs reviews.
- Execute engineering change orders.
- Communicate design changes with 3D models, engineering drawings, specification changes, and bill of material changes.
- Manage projects:
- Maintain orderly project records. Know, document, and communicate project status as required both verbally and in written form.
- Plan and co-coordinate timely integration of corrective actions.
- Drive project execution.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering and at least 5 years of electrical and/or systems engineering experience is required.
- Problem Solver
- Familiar with formal problem resolution techniques/practices (e.g. CAP/A3/DMAIC, etc).
- Has track record of solving product failure issues on mechanical and electromechanical components, sub-systems and systems.
- Electrical Engineer
- Degreed electrical engineer.
- Experience in the design of vehicle electrical systems, harness/interconnection systems, and components such as alternators, inverters, battery charging systems and sensors.
- Hands-on proficiency using electrical tools and instrumentation to perform testing and gather data.
- Ability to troubleshoot software and control systems.
- Experience with industrial equipment would be an advantage.
- Can design, prototype, and test potential solutions.
- Has a track record of finishing off projects (i.e. is a closer).
- Can work on and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understands the role of other functional areas (i.e. test department, production, supply management, material planners) and can work well with these departments to get projects implemented.
- Project Manager (for small scale projects)
- Can develop a test plan and an implementation plan.
- Can schedule plans and control projects to a schedule.
- Can lead a small cross-functional project team.
- Can lead design reviews.
- Shows awareness of overall project status and obstacles to progress
- Able to clearly communicate complex technical information to others, both verbally and through documentation.
- Comfortable presenting information to groups.
We are committed to helping you reach your professional, personal and financial goals. We offer competitive compensation that aligns with our business strategies and comprehensive benefits to help you live your healthiest. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse culture that engages as well as values the different backgrounds and experiences of our employee, which, in turn, spurs innovation, generates creative solutions and enhances our customer relations.
If you share our passion for inspiring progress—for bringing about bold shifts in how people, economies and societies operate—then you belong with Ingersoll Rand. Progress begins with you!
To change or remove this job posting please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.