Senior Java Developer
FastBridge Learning is a rapidly growing K-12 formative assessment company. We help teachers foster greater learning outcomes via the effective use of evidence-based classroom assessments in math, reading, and behavior, which provide teachers the best data and real-time feedback to inform intervention and instruction.
We are driven by our mission to transform the way teachers assess the learning needs of their students. We serve schools in 40 states, including a statewide implementation in Iowa, and will administer nearly 15 million assessments this school year, and we have no plans of slowing down any time soon.
FastBridge Learning is seeking an experienced Java Developer with strong server-side web app development and troubleshooting skills to join us in our downtown Minneapolis office. We work with a pragmatically agile process; closely aligned with product management, operations, and customer support; as well as affiliated research staff. This is an opportunity to join a small team that is passionate about improving the lives of teachers and students.
You are an enthusiastic developer who’s ready to hit the ground running. You’re able to take initiative, organized, and excellent with time management. You relish finding elegant solutions to complex problems. You’re capable of spotting production issues early and acting before things catch fire. You are self-driven, team-oriented, have strong troubleshooting skills, and flourish in a fast paced and collaborative environment where honesty and trust are valued. Most importantly, you must be passionate about creating an exceptional, high-quality application that supports and serves educators and students.
FastBridge’s server technology platform is currently based on Java, Spring, Hibernate, and SQL Server 2014, hosted in AWS. That’s today. As a senior member of the development team, you’ll have a hand in shaping what it looks like tomorrow. If you don't have all the preferred qualifications but they represent areas of interest or things you'd like to learn, please talk to us anyway.
As a Senior Java Developer at FastBridge Learning, you will be doing development on our flagship web application – Formative Assessment System for Teachers (FAST™)—as well as a new product line. You’ll be part of the Product Development and Technology team and report to the Director of Engineering. You will use back-end technologies (mainly within the Spring framework) to build new product features such as assessments, reports, single-sign-on integrations, and other areas; as well as helping to improve the stability, performance, and scalability of our platform. As a small company, everyone in engineering is also involved in production support when required.
- Ensure accuracy and integrity of the application through analysis, coding of features and tests, writing clear documentation, and problem resolution
- Collaborate with peers and with research staff to implement, test, and maintain application features
- Help mentor more junior developers
- Participate in (and occasionally lead) team scrum meetings
- Comfortable estimating and prioritizing work
- Act as a key member of the product launch team and work closely with DevOps to resolve operational issues
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- 5+ years of working experience in a professional programming position
- Extensive experience with server-side Java, and comfortable working full-stack from browser to database
- Strong knowledge of JSPs, Servlets, Spring, and Hibernate, deployed to Linux
- Prior experience utilizing and implementing REST APIs
- Strong knowledge of at least one relational database system (Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, DB2)
- Demonstrated ability to successfully complete multiple complex technical tasks
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Comfortable documenting and communicating technical content to non-technical staff
- Strong analytical skills, with excellent problem solving abilities
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field; or equivalent experience
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Familiar with CI/C and DevOps principles and practices
- Familiar with multiple database systems, especially MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Experience with Amazon RDS and EC2, Google App Engine, or Microsoft Azure
- Familiar with native (android/iOS) app development
- Prior experience with test-driven development and test automation
- Prior experience in the education or education technology space
520 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN
520 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN