Senior Java Developer
What is the opportunity?
As a hands-on Java / J2EE developer you will design and develop server side systems for the RBC Wealth Management middle-tier. You provide coding direction to less experienced staff and develop complex original code. You recommend scalable, advanced technologies and methods to integrate Web systems with existing systems, enabling the creation of new Web interfaces and/or expanding existing business onto the Web.
What will you do?
Technical Analysis, Design and Consulting
- Provide consulting services on new and strategic initiatives of medium to large of varying complexity. Develop feasibility studies and proposals for senior management and executive decisions on large complex projects.
- Research emerging trends/best practices and determines implications of proposed solutions on meeting business unit strategy.
- Manage detailed design phases for large projects/ programs identifying, tracking and resolving technical issues and ensuring solution meets sponsor needs and PLC deliverables.
Testing & Documentation:
- Manages all aspects of implementation planning & coordination. Develops detailed plans and accurate estimates for the design, build, implement and stabilize phases of the project.
- Performs database/ disaster recovery planning for multiple systems. Performs performance tuning to improve performance across multiple systems.
Relationships & Communication:
- Acts as primary IT liaison with multiple interfacing applications, 3rd party vendors, IT Executive and/or Project Managers.
- Develops criteria for and participates in the evaluation of 3rd party vendors and software as well as due diligence exercises.
- Facilitates complex group meetings (including business partners) for technical design, decision making, problem solving, implementation and strategic planning.
Development & Coaching: Provides direction, expertise, feedback, coaching and development to build the capability of more junior staff. What do you need to succeed? Must-have:
- 5+ years of Java/J2EE development experience
- Significant hands-on experience developing scalable, high-performance solutions
- Experience using SOA technologies such as SOAP, WSDL, XML Schemas
- Demonstrated experience with mid-tier server side technologies and experienced in multi-tier, component-based architecture and design
- Hands on experience with WebSphere, and/or other Application Servers
- Experience with Middleware technologies (ex. MQSeries/WebSphere, WXF, XML, .NET)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Nice-to-have: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Client First: We will always earn the right to be our clients’ first choice
- Collaboration: We win as One RBC
- Accountability: We take ownership for personal and collective high performance
- Diversity & Inclusion: We embrace diversity for innovation and growth
- Integrity: We hold ourselves to the highest standards to build trust