Senior Software Engineer
Star Tribune, the largest and most-trusted news organization in the Midwest, is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join the Star Tribune Digital team. The Star Tribune Digital team is focused on creating a strong technical platform to support our consumer facing applications across Desktop, Mobile and Native Apps. Senior Software Engineers are responsible for key areas of technical success for the Star Tribune focused on engineering excellence, technical leadership and team stewardship.
As a senior leader on the Digital Technology team, Senior Software Engineers are responsible for improvement of the organization through direct and indirect leadership. This leadership will be expressed through mentorship of less experienced engineers, advocating for technical improvements in their day to day interactions, maintaining a high level of professional engagement, and communicating clearly with all aspects of the Digital organization.
In an agile environment, Senior Software Engineers are a key element of the success of each Scrum team. As part of the team, they will be a key part of the drive to meet the sprint commitments and maintain high technical excellence.
- Advanced programming knowledge to support a large scale, “always on” website infrastructure
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to provide architectural guidance and stewardship over large applications
- Ability to mentor less experienced engineers to help the overall growth of the Star Tribune Digital Technology team
- Demonstrate professional behavior as a model to less experienced staff
- Be engaged and be present in departmental gathers and meetings
- Advocate for change to improve the technical systems of the Star Tribune
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and the value of technical work to non-technical staff
- Engage with the team to meet each sprint’s commitments
- Promote technical excellence in the planning and execution of each sprint, advocate for additional stories or acceptance criteria that encourage strong engineering practices
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent Work Experience
- 5+ years of experience developing web applications in PHP, Node.js, .NET, or similar technologies
- 5+ years of experience working in team workflows utilizing GIT or similar technologies and participating in peer code reviews
- 2+ years of experience providing technical direction and architectural guidance
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex engineering tasks to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in an Agile engineering environment
- Experience in StrongLoop
- Experience in Laravel
- Experience engineering in an AWS environment
- Experience in Content Management, CRM and other scale application integrations
- Experience in ETL technologies
- Experience in Big Data technologies
To change or remove this job posting please contact [email protected].