Kipsu is rooted in a simple, yet profound goal: Elevate service professionals to the center of the customer experience, transforming transactional interactions into fully-developed relationships. As one of the Twin Cities’ leading tech companies, Kipsu has cultivated a reputation for strong company culture, providing exemplary service to its customer partners, and investing in the growth of their team members. Kipsu was recognized by Star Tribune as a top small company workplace for 2021. This role is crucial to the significant, sustainable growth and continued global expansion forecasted for Kipsu’s near future.
You’ll play a unique and interesting role in a high growth, leading edge Minneapolis based software company. This role is uniquely suited to someone with experience, who is looking to facilitate the overall delivery of an entire software engineering organization by establishing technology direction and helping newer software engineers learn and master software engineering skills and principles. As Director of Architecture you will help our VP of Engineering establish our architectural blueprint by making recommendations on new technologies, frameworks and application architecture. As Lead Engineering Coach, you will help us select and develop new software engineers by developing an apprenticeship program and playing a daily role in helping engineering managers and their new subordinates come up to speed more quickly.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Work closely with the Software Engineering team to recommend and establish design patterns and make architectural choices for new components of our rapidly scaling high volume messaging solution; work with more junior engineers to help them integrate those architectural choices into their daily work
- Engage with architects at our enterprise customers to make architectural decisions and design how we build our software capabilities to meet the demands of large global enterprises
- Make recommendations to engineering leadership on new technologies
- Help us continue to scale our platform by modularizing capabilities as we refactor core and original software components
- Develop a new apprenticeship program that will help upskill new engineers to meet the demands of an exciting new category of software
- Work hand-in-hand with new engineers to think through ways that can help them get up to speed quicker and structure their code for success
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 15+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- 3+ years of experience in a Leadership role
- Based in the Twin Cities and available to engage with our locally based team
- An enthusiastic individual that enjoys developing and mentoring others and is at a point in their career where they want to see the fruits of their work extending beyond what they can do as an individual
- A hands on technology leader comfortable engaging with business and technical leaders to identify objectives, weigh competing approaches and drive consensus on architectural designs
- A seasoned programmer knowledgeable of many different programming languages and capable of aiding with making technology choices that match the task at hand
- An architect who loves to whiteboard and is ready to tackle big problems like modularizing systems into a microservice architecture, defining architecture and design standards, and designing systems that can scale independently
- Able to see the big picture beyond the Engineering team, taking into account customer expectations, company goals and external pressures
WHAT MAKES KIPSU DIFFERENT
- We’re a solid, stable company, and we enthusiastically embrace our founding startup spirit– everyone pitching in and working to the same goals.
- Our culture– We have a team of highly motivated colleagues who are all in it together. We all succeed as one, and we all learn from our mistakes holding our interdependence in high regard.
- Our unique philosophy– we bootstrapped this company ourselves and are in it for the long-term. There is a distinct sense of purpose and ownership at Kipsu as we do things on our own terms.
- Remarkable growth– with nearly a decade of advancement, we continue to accelerate. It’s an exciting time to be here as we are taking on some large opportunities and substantial team growth over the next year.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT HERE
- Unity– Everyone here is committed to the same mission. Our core values are not platitudes but our pact. We believe in the best in each other while always reaching to be better.
- Transparency– Our leadership gets into the details. We all gather for weekly space to discover how each team is doing so that we have a full understanding of the business and think like a CEO.
- Trust– Our team members are given the trust and license to excel at their jobs, and are supported along the way to continuously grow.
- Mentorship - We all have more to learn and something to teach. The lessons are beyond technical. We celebrate our busy hive of shared growth.
- Respect– Our success and future as an industry leader depend on actionable commitment to cultivating a diverse and equitable team. Everyone here has a voice that is heard and respected. We seek open and honest conversation on our journey to be active stewards of our shared communities.
- Purpose– Everyone here is closely connected to the result of their work. Every day our team gets to see the impact of what they do enhancing the value of our customers’ work in their own professions. Our goals are explicitly tethered to our mission of building relationships.
One last thing – At Kipsu, we believe that our values, success, and future as a leader in our industry require a vibrant and diverse workforce. This is one of the many challenges we seek to solve, and we are intentional and active in recruiting talent of all identities and building an environment that is inclusive of all backgrounds. We need your contribution to our team. Please consider rolling up your sleeves and joining us on our journey.