Why is this role important to Field Nation? Field Nation is looking for a seasoned MySQL expert to help us design and optimize our applications’ database use, as well as ensure the servers are tuned to get the best performance for our usage. This area is the highest opportunity we have to increase application performance and availability. The ideal candidate is a technology enthusiast who wants to work in an agile environment with like-minded professionals passionate about using technology to solve real-world problems. We are entirely AWS hosted and looking for someone with MySQL on RDS experience, but appreciate individuals with well-rounded experience to bring fresh perspectives to problems.
This position is located in Minneapolis, MN and reports to the CTO.
What you’ll do:
- Identify performance improvement opportunities in existing queries
- Work with existing monitoring to identify key metrics to find potential issues early
- Assist engineers to create or modify database structures that take performance and scalability into account
- Tune MySQL server configuration to optimize performance for our usage patterns
- Provide architectural review and recommendations for new processes, applications and products requiring database integration and/or ETL
- Administer MySQL server security and protect sensitive data
- Work with SRE team on designing, implementing, and maintain a strong disaster recovery and high availability plan
- Assist engineering teams in designing data archiving solutions to keep our transactional databases fast and lean
- Install, upgrade, and patch database servers
- Participate in code and design reviews
What you'll need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Business Information Systems preferred but equivalent experience accepted
- 5 or more years of relevant experience
- 2 or more years experience with AWS RDS instances
- Expert knowledge of MySQL 5.6, 5.7, 8.0
- Detailed knowledge of InnoDB storage engine and proven ability to tunes its performance
- Experience configuring and maintaining replication, log shipping, and database mirroring
- Experience with data architecture best practices a plus
- Strong analysis and communication skills required
- Able to discuss data needs with end users and document requirements for other team members
- Experience with column-store databases such as AWS Redshift is preferred
- Experience working within agile software engineering methodologies using tools such as GitHub and JIRA is preferred.
Why Field Nation
At Field Nation, we are breaking the barriers to work and enabling the gig economy. We’re a tech company that offers a web-based marketplace solution for buyers and sellers of contract services to simply connect, work, and manage their business. We look for collaborators, innovators, and problem solvers to join us in our common purpose of changing the way work gets done. We were named a Top Workplace by the Star Tribune in 2017, 2018, 2019, and a Top 150 Workplace in 2020. We look to hire extraordinary people and provide them extraordinary benefits.
A snapshot of our perks and benefits for full-time employees:
- Unlimited/Flexible paid time off
- Annual vacation bonus – yes, we’ll pay you a bonus to take paid time off!
- Individualized growth and development plans to help you develop a deeper skillset and wider responsibility in your career
- Exposure to and experience with cutting edge technologies to solve meaningful problems in an entrepreneurial, scaling startup environment
- Company paid short-term and long-term disability and life insurance
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits with HSA option (to include a competitive employer contribution)
- Paid parental leave pay available
- Great work/life balance with a flexible, come-as-you-are environment
- Competitive 401k employer match and vesting schedule
- Free gym membership in our building’s new facility
- Open office space with tons of natural light in beautiful downtown Minneapolis, connected to the Minneapolis skyway system, close to public transportation hubs, and many popular food options