Star Tribune, the largest and most-trusted news organization in the Midwest, is seeking a Software Engineer to join the Star Tribune Digital team. Join a team with competitive pay and a great work-life balance. Our team has adopted a “work remote” approach which will allow you to find the most productive space for yourself, including our world-class headquarters in downtown Minneapolis. The Star Tribune Digital team is focused on creating a robust technical platform to support our consumer facing applications across Desktop, Mobile and Native Apps which is seen by half a million people every day.
The Software Engineer will support all facets of the digital platform. The successful candidate will be responsible for design, development, documentation, testing, and debugging new and existing software functionality using Agile development practices. The team uses Agile scrum so our work is very team-based and collaborative. This position will participate in software design meetings and analyze user needs to determine technical requirements. The Software Engineer will also consult with product owners to prototype, refine, test, and debug programs to meet needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Practiced and experienced in program scripting language
- Ability to work within a fast paced agile based team environment
- Able to successfully meet project timelines and deliverables
- Takes initiative and is able to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Availability to participate within a weekly on-call rotation.
- PHP programming language and PHP Framework such as Laravel experience
- NodeJS experience
- API systems and framework experience example being Loopback
- Mobile App frameworks such as React Native
- SCSS and CSS Frontend experience
- Serverless system knowledge/experience such as AWS Lambda or equivalent
- Knowledge of DevOps principles
- Agile scrum development experience
- 3 to 5 years of experience as a Software Engineer in an application development environment
Some top benefits include: a new downtown office with gym access to Steele Fitness in the building and access to rooftop amenities in warm months; commuter benefits; competitive medical and dental insurance; paid time off; 401(k) matching; tuition assistance; and unlimited digital access to Star Tribune. In addition, Star Tribune has partnerships with many organizations that offer our employees a variety of discounts!