[UPDATED] TECHdotMN, 26 Letters, and Structural Introduce A Diversity and Inclusion Study Of MN Tech
Updated 6/7/18: Question framework added.
This shared pursuit represents a first of its kind scientific approach to holistically and objectively understanding the D&I environment among Minnesota’s technology industry at large. Some key questions we are seeking to answer include:
- How diverse and inclusive is Minnesota’s technology industry?
- Can it be measured, bench marked and tracked going forward?
- If compared and contrasted, could this research accelerate change?
- Is there a correlation between tech company success and their internal D&I?
The scope of study includes up to 1,500 active Minnesota-based technology companies as drawn from the database. Our working definitions are:
- Diversity: the number and percentages of different demographics and backgrounds represented at the company.
- Inclusion: employee perception is that of which people feel comfortable and welcome within their workspace with clear pathways to professional and career development.
Together, we are now refining the launch of this research project at scale across the spectrum of Minnesota Tech and publicly announce the initiative today with the intention of transparency and feedback. This is a large undertaking with worthy ideals and we have the goal of a v1 report published by the end of 2018.
Updated 6/7: Question framework added – feedback welcome.
What hinders inclusion – What key themes can we identify?
- Do you offer training for those participating in hiring processes? If so, is it mandatory?
- Do you have organization documents that name how diversity and inclusion fits in with your mission or vision?
- Do you have a code of conduct?
- Do you have any diversity and inclusion initiatives? If so, what are they?
- Within the last 12 months, has your organization offered diversity, bias, inclusion or any other training? How was the training commenced?
- Does your organization offer opportunities for individual to report or discuss harassment, bias or other workplace challenges?
- Is there a system/structure in place to address those challenges?
Data collection – Are companies tracking where they are at now?
- Do you track the demographics of your current applicants?
- Do you track the demographics of your current employee base?
- Do you track the demographics of your current leadership and executives?
- Do you track the demographics of those you have promoted over the last 12 months?
- Do you track the demographics of your vendors?
Systems and policies – Are there structures and systems in place for standardized practices and policy implementation?
- Do you have a standard process for hiring?
- Do you have a standard process for employee growth? (including but not limited to personal improvement plans, promotions or internal movement)
Anyone interested in contributing to this project can leave a comment or email firstname.lastname@example.org.