What to know about the BETA Explore angel investment event:
- The event, entitled “Tips on Investing from Active Angel Investors” will take place on Thursday, January 21 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. CST
- Reed Robinson, co-founder of Groove Capital, will moderate the event and will be joined by a lineup of panelists:
- The virtual BETA Explore event is reserved for Accredited Investors only and you need to request an invitation if you want to join the stream (see full disclaimer on registration page)
Reed Robinson recently published a guest series exploring pre-seed investment in Minnesota entitled “Mind The Gap.” Be sure to read up on the series before the BETA Explore event. Here’s a short excerpt from Part 1 of the series:
“According to Greater MSP’s Regional Indicators Dashboard, the area ranks 11 out of 12 in annual amount of venture capital when compared to similar metros. If you’re still not convinced, go ask an early-stage first-time founder. The pain is real.
Having personally experienced this funding gap as a founder, witnessed it and its impact on 150+ startups during my time with BETA, and now having further researched the issue with others who are familiar the matter, I think the crux of the issue comes down to two things:
- The area doesn’t have many formal investment groups investing at the Pre-Seed Stage
- There aren’t enough angels to fill the gap
The absence of high-volume, early-stage investors and a lack of a robust, active angel community throttles the growth of existing startups — that’s bad — and recent research from the Kauffman Foundation suggests it may halt other potential entrepreneurs from ever starting.