The St. Paul-based accelerator is looking for tech, healthcare, and CPG companies from underrepresented communities.
The Lunar Startups Accelerator is a six-month program that provides a suite of benefits to its participants including executive coaching, mentorship from local professionals, technology resources, and free legal services. The program focuses on companies from underrepresented communities.
Tierra Anderson, Lunar Startups Program Manager, shared her excitement about the latest cohort.
"The most exciting thing ramping up for a new cohort at Lunar is being able to see all the amazing local businesses," Anderson said. "Most importantly, seeing the diversity and the problems that are being solved for communities that look like us and stand for us."
Anderson also shared some insights and changes to the upcoming cohort including a hybrid model (most workshops and coaching will be virtual but a two-day orientation, monthly founders meetings, and more events will be in person) and the observation that tech founders don't necessarily need as much traction as product founders.
"Tech founders need to be past the idea stage but they don't have to have a completed functional platform to join our program this year," she said.
If you’re interested in learning more about the program, Lunar Startups will be holding info sessions on January 19 and January 26 from 1-2:30 p.m. (you can sign up on the application page).
Get a jump on you some of your questions by reading a helpful FAQ on the program here, and check out the general eligibility requirements below:
- One team member can commit to attend virtual programming events consistently. Programming is typically held on Thursdays from 1pm - 2:30pm. There are occasionally high-value events outside of these times. See a sample accelerator schedule here.
- Additional team members may attend workshops, however, coaching and founder meetings work best with one lead participant.
- At least one team member is committed to working 20 + hours a week on this venture.
- You have clear majority ownership in your company.
- Your company and/or founders do not have any ongoing legal action (such as bankruptcy, court disputes, etc.) among past or present co-founders, investors, partners, or customers.
- You commit to participate in all evaluation activities including surveys and interviews before, during, and after the program.
- You commit to paying the $100 per person per month programming fee. This is required to access the benefits and opportunities associated with the programming including AWS credits, Google Adwords, and more.
- Your company is based in Minnesota, or doing significant business within Minnesota. If you aren’t in Minnesota, sign up for Lunar Everywhere to learn about other Lunar Resources.
The mission of Lunar Startups is to create, “equitable entrepreneurial ecosystems by providing education, support, and connectivity to leaders who identify as BIPOC, women, LGBTQ, and are founding high-impact ventures with the goal of building community wealth and developing entrepreneurial capabilities.” You can read more about the accelerator here, make a donation here, and sign up to join the Lunar Startups expert network here.